Healthy Girls Save the World (HGSW) is a non-profit dedicated to promoting healthy minds, bodies, and relationships for middle school girls in North Carolina.
We believe that every girl deserves a positive space in her community where she is encouraged to learn what it means to be healthy on the inside and out, as well as given the resources to do so. Our team works to organize low-cost events on the UNC Chapel Hill campus that foster the development of healthy habits related to proper nutrition, physical activity, and overall healthy lifestyles for girls. Aligned with the NC Health Education Standards, each event is a uniquely powerful combination of trained female student volunteers, female varsity athletes, expert speakers, and enriching activities led by other student organizations. By aspiring to serve, build, and develop girls into powerful women, HGSW is dedicated to launching the potential of all girls and helping them realize all that they are capable of physically and mentally.
Innovation and collaboration are the heartbeat of academic life on a college campus, and it is our effort to maximize the potential of these forces that makes HGSW distinctively sustainable. The success of our past events have demonstrated that these invaluable resources are all readily available for the benefit of local girls at little to no cost, but require the creative organization and partnerships that HGSW continues to develop on a daily basis. This innovative approach to program development keeps participant attendance fees extremely low, and is therefore a pivotal factor in our efforts to make holistic health education, positive role models, and well-organized physical activities more accessible to all girls.
How It Works
1. Each fall, HGSW selects 40 girls (grades 6-9) from the community from the pool of applicantions submitted online.
2. These “members” make up the UNC Chapter of HGSW each year.
3. Members are grouped by grade level and assigned to a team of outstanding female counselors from UNC.
4. Members are required to attend two events per academic semester, as well as the Summer Experience at the end of the year.
5. Members are also required to check-in with their counselors for regular mentorship in-between events.
6. Additionally, HGSW hosts two community events throughout the year that are open to anyone, not just members.